International Students

Bryn Mawr College welcomes applications from international students who have outstanding secondary school records and who meet university entrance requirements in their own countries.

We consider any student who is a citizen of a country other than the United States and is not a U.S. permanent resident to be an international student. We recognize that U.S. citizens who live abroad may reference this information as it applies to their academic experience.

One important distinction between an international student and a U.S. citizen living abroad is the type of financial assistance for which she is eligible.

Educational Preparation

High School

An international applicant to Bryn Mawr should have completed an American-type high school or a secondary school program that qualifies her for university entrance in her own country. Fluency in English is essential, since Bryn Mawr has no formal program in English as a Second Language.

A foreign citizen who, by the time of enrollment at Bryn Mawr, has not yet completed a full semester of university coursework may apply as a first-year student. First-year students are eligible to qualify for financial aid.


A foreign citizen who has already completed one or more full semesters of coursework at another university may not apply as a first-year student; She must apply as a transfer student. If she is currently enrolled at a U.S. college or university, she will be eligible to apply for financial aid. Transfer applicants attending a university outside of the United States are not eligible for financial aid.