Inauguration: Schedule of Events
Friday, Oct. 3, 2008
Celebrating Community: Picnic, Performances, and Dancing
- 5 to 7:30 p.m. Picnic, Merion Green. Including jugglers, magician, student performing groups, face painters, caricaturists, balloon artists, and henna-tattoo artist
- 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Music and Dancing, Thomas Great Hall. Featuring Swing Connections, the Bob Butryn Orchestra, FuZion Creative Dance Company, and DJs Nelson Miranda and Nikki Lopez ’10. Motown, Salsa, Swing, Bhangra, Hip-hop, and more!
Saturday, Oct. 4, 2008
Celebrating History: Campus Architecture and Special Collections Tours
10 to 11 a.m
., departing from the Benham Gateway Building
- The Architectural Tour: Planning the Bryn Mawr Campus
- The Collections Tour: Bryn Mawr’s (Secret) Treasures
Celebrating Achievement: Bryn Mawr in the World
11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Faculty-student collaborators present the impact of their work on
research, communities, and policy.
- Panel One: Thomas 110
- Basic Research and Developing New Therapeutics with Associate Professor of Chemistry Bill Malachowski, Sarah Tibi '09 and Tu-Anh Vu '09
- Research and Public Policy with Professor of Sociology Mary Osirim, Joanna Pinto-Coelho '09,
Visiting Professor of Social Work Sandy Schram and Linda Houser, GSSWSR doctoral candidate
- Panel Two: Carpenter 21
- Interdisciplinary Insights into Early Arabian Civilization
with Associate Professor of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology Peter Magee, Emily Hammer '06 and Amber Zambelli '09
- Environmental Studies, Environmental Activism Associate Professor of Geology Don Barber and Emily McGlynn '09
- Panel Three: Thomas 224
- The Arts as Social Engagement with Associate Director of Dance Mady Cantor, Lucy Edwards '08 and Adaobi Kanu '08
- Indigenous Perspectives and Early Modern History With Associate Professor of History Ignacio Gallup-Diaz, Jennifer Lynch '09 and
Anna Shatz '09
Celebrating Leadership: The Inauguration of Jane Dammen McAuliffe
Remarks by Johnnetta Betsch Cole,
President Emeritus of Spelman College and of Bennett College for Women. Tickets are not required.
The ceremony will be webcast as it happens.
Immediately following the ceremony,
Thomas Green and Great Hall.