Endowed Funds

The generous support of the following endowed funds enables the Bryn Mawr College Libraries to purchase materials in support of the teaching and research mission of the College.

| A-B | C | D-F | G-J | K-L | M-N | O-P | R-S | T-Z |

William R. and Martha S. Adair Memorial Fund

Designated for the purchase of books in Economics.

Established at the bequest of Helen Adair, Fellow in Economics 1917-1919 and graduate student 1919-1920, as a memorial to her parents, William R. Adair and Martha S. Adair.

Back to top

Agnew Memorial Library Fund

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection.

Established at the bequest of Janet M. Agnew, Head Librarian at Bryn Mawr College from 1947 until her retirement in 1969.

Back to top
Ankeny Family Library Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of periodicals in the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Established by Mrs. Dewalt H. Ankeny and her daughters Sally Ankeny Anson, Class of 1952, and Kendall Ankeny Mix, Class of 1948. This fund has been used to purchase reference books, begin an approval program of art exhibition catalogs, and to support periodicals. Beginning in 1990, the fund solely supports the purchase of periodicals in the humanities and social sciences.

Back to top

Art and Archaeology Library Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of materials in Archaeology and the History of Art.

Established by a gift from Maxine de Schauensee Lewis, Class of 1958.

Back to top

Atherton Book Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection.

Louise Dickey Davison, Class of 1937, conceived the idea of soliciting contributions from all Bryn Mawr members of her family, relatives, and friends to raise the money for this fund. Five sisters are the center of this idea: Louise Atherton Dickey, Class of 1903; Melanie Atherton Updegraff, Class of 1908; Sarah Atherton Bridgman, Class of 1913; Elizabeth Atherton Hewitt, Class of 1914; and, Eleanor Atherton Hendrickson, Class of 1918.

Back to top

Mary M. Baizer Memorial Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of books in Russian, German, and English Literature.

Established by a gift in memory of Mary M. Baizer from her husband Manual Baizer and her daughters Joan Baizer, Class of 1968, and Carol Baizer, Class of 1973.

Back to top

Margaret Ayer Barnes Book Fund

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection, with a preference for those in English literature.

Established with gifts from the family, friends, and colleagues in memory of Margaret Ayer Barnes, Class of 1907.

Back to top

Nita Scudder Baugh Fund

Designated for the purchase of publications in English language, literature, and history from the earliest times to 1800.

Established in 1939 by the husband and sons of Nita Scudder Baugh, Ph.D. in English.

Back to top

Dr. Fritz Berliner Biochemistry Fund

Designated for the purchase of books in Biochemistry.

Begun in 1970 by Ernst and Frances Berliner, specifically for the purchase of books in Biochemistry and not periodicals. At that time the College was the beneficiary of a National Science Foundation grant and the Berliners requested that the income be returned to principal for the first three years of the fund. In fact, the income was returned to principal until 1986, when it was posted as a regular library endowment fund.

Back to top

Ernst Berliner Fund for Journals in Chemistry

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of journals in Chemistry.

Established in honor of Ernst Berliner, Professor of Chemistry at Bryn Mawr from 1943 until his retirement in 1985, by his wife Rose J. Randall, Class of 1947. Since its inception, this fund has received a steady stream of contributions.

Back to top

L. Joe Berry Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of books in Biology.

Established by a donation from friends, students, and colleagues in honor of L. Joe Berry, a member of the Biology faculty from 1940 to 1970.

Back to top

Julia Fellows Blaisdell Memorial Fund

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection, with a preference for those in the Classics.

Established by an initial gift by Viola Margaret Blaisdell, Class of 1907, in memory of her mother, Julia Fellows Blaisdell. Viola Margaret Blaisdell's major subjects were Mathematics and Latin.

Back to top

Josephine Katzenstein Blancke Book Fund for Foreign Languages

Designated for the purchase of books in Foreign Languages.

Established at the bequest of Josephine Katzenstein Blancke in 1970.

Back to top

Phyllis Pray Bober Art and Archaeology Library Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of books in the field of art and archaeology, with a preference given to the classical tradition and the Renaissance.

Established by gifts from friends and colleagues of Professor Bober upon her retirement.

Back to top

Bolton Book Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for purchases in architectural history, land management, and urban studies.

Established in 1990 through the combined gifts of the Elisha-Bolton Foundation and Gilbert Schafer, Haverford Class of 1984.

Back to top

Bryn Mawr Book Fair

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection.

Established through the funds generated from the 1976 Book Fair, held under the auspices of the Staff of Canaday Library and the Friends of the Bryn Mawr College Library. The Book Fair was a biennial event from 1976 to 1982 with some of the proceeds from each of the four Fairs added to the fund.

Back to top

Sylvia C. Bowditch Fund

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection, with a preference for those in Biology.

Established at the bequest of Sylvia C. Bowditch, Class of 1899, A.B. 1901, whose major was Biology.

Back to top

Mary Keller Boyd Library Fund

Designated for the purchase of library materials in French.

Established in 1991 by a gift from Mary Keller Boyd, Class of 1934.

Back to top

Maynard Riggs Bradley Fund for Library Purchases in Archaeology

Designated for the purchase of materials in Archaeology.

Established in 1974 by a gift from Camilla Riggs Meigs (Mrs. J. Wister Meigs), Class of 1940, in memory of her sister Maynard Riggs Bradley. The Meigs continue to contribute to the fund.

Back to top

Jane L. and Harriet M. Brownell Fund

View a cumulative list of individual titles purchased, beginning with fiscal year 2003.

Designated for the purchase of materials for the general collection.

Established at the bequest of Jane L. Brownell, Class of 1893 and M.A. 1894, and her sister Harriet M. Brownell, Class of 1897. Originally the gift was used for alterations to Dalton Hall and to set up the Jane L. Brownell Memorial Room in the Mathematics Department. After construction, the remainder was consolidated to form this library fund.

Back to top

Roger Frederic Brunel Fund

Designated for the purchase of periodicals in Chemistry.

Established by gifts from former students as a memorial to Dr. Brunel, who was successively Associate, Associate Professor, and Professor of Chemistry, 1912-1924.

Back to top